Once you’ve got some music recorded and you’re ready for people to hear it, how do you get it to them? There are several ways to get your music onto the internet for people to hear, but if you’ve never done it before, it can be kind of a confusing task.
Here are a few of the easiest ways to get your stuff out there.
Soundcloud is a very simple website, which is particularly suited for uploading individual songs.
- Sign up for an account (pretty quick and painless)
- Click Upload at the top of the page
- Select the song you want to upload
(You can also select multiple songs to create a playlist)
- While your track is processing, click Update image to set a cover photo for the track (preferably artwork or something that illustrates you or the song)
- Enter a title, select a genre and enter tags (these will help interested listeners find your songs)
- Make sure it’s set to Public, and click Save
- Grab the link from your browser, and share it on Facebook or text it to your friends to bug them
Bandcamp is more suited for multiple song uploads, which you can present as a full album, with links to purchase CD, Cassette or Vinyl versions.
- Sign up for an account (possibly even quicker more painless)
- Decide on an artist name (this will also be your url, so make it simple)
- Click add music at the top of the page, and select either add album or add track
- Now you can set up all of the details of your album: the cover artwork (MAKE IT A SQUARE), the title, the release date, and the price (you can also set it to be free, or let buyers name their own price)
- Click Publish and share the link! You can also set your album up to release at a later date, and allow listeners to Pre-order it before you put it out!
There are other ways to get your music out there, but these two are the most common. Try them both, and see which one you like more. Check out other people’s pages, and see what you like about what they’re doing. Make more music. Put more music out there. Rinse and repeat.